Diary Of A JJ Virgin Diet Follower Why Do I Want To Do This? My sister who was fifty pounds overweight, diagnosed with high blood pressure,obese, suffered from insomnia, and low energy. In October 2013 she started on the JJ Virgin Diet and by March 2014, five month later she was down fifty-two pounds...

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Gluten Makes Me Sick!

  I Failed The Gluten Challenge...

       Miserably!

Cycle 2 

Week 1


Diary of a JJ Virgin Diet Follower

Hello Diary,
I have been following The Virgin Diet by JJ Virgin since January of  2016. My New Years Resolution was to lose weight, and get healthy. It's been two long months since I've had gluten, I mean, no pasta, no bread(maybe a small bite before realizing early into the diet), no salad dressing, no donuts and noooo, gluten. However, today was the first day of my gluten test. That's where I added gluten back into my diet to see if I am able to tolerant it. That's the test!
At first, the idea of testing gluten was so exciting because I was anxious to know whether or not gluten if could finally become a part of my regular diet or ditch it all together.
Today seemed just like any other day, and was beginning to believe that the food testing phase, checking symptoms in Cycle 2 was not real. But nothing could be further from the truth.
Well, more about that later.
So, here is how my gluten test day went...
I started my day as usually, having a wonderful Breakfast Strawberry Smoothie, with yellow pea protein, frozen strawberries, chia seeds(meal), and coconut milk blended smoothly.  Drink up! I love my smoothies because they are so delicious, nutritious, satisfyingly filling, and energizing. The smoothie is a total meal, so that's all I have and need for breakfast. The smoothies help repel cravings as well.

It was nearing lunch time and I could hardly wait to go grocery shopping for some gluten. I wanted to make it s lunch special, so I decided to have whole-wheat pasta(gluten-grain), topped with pan-seared scallops and kale. Sound pretty good right? From the store, I picked up a box of whole wheat thin spaghetti-the side of the box ingredient label read: Contains Wheat (Hmmmm is this a clue of what to come? I thought.) and fresh scallops, and organic kale bunch. Now, I was ready to kick-off my gluten test.  
The scallops and kale tasted very yummy but I noticed that the whole-wheat pasta had a sweet taste. That was a bit strange. I had not taste the type of sweetness before. Anyway, I finished it off.
Not very filling, I felt a little empty but I did not have seconds.
Oh boy! After about an hour, I began to feel a little funny, at first, dizzy, foggy head, so I laid down for 30 minutes. Then, I began to feel worse, digestive issues like: bubbling stomach, rumbling stomach, queasy, bloating, gassy, even some stomach pain. I felt really bad and  lasted for 2-3 more hours and in my fogginess I remember thinking, Wow!!! I'm having an reaction...these are symptoms and they are real. I'm
having symptoms as the results of my gluten test. Bingo!
I do not need gluten if this is the way it makes me feel, I thought. It's not pleasant at all! At this point there is no need to further test gluten, I've got my answer. I failed the Gluten Challenge...miserably!
Four hours later, I had a small dinner....No Glutens!
I had grass-fed pot roast, with steamed cabbage. That was good!
I still had minor remnants of some of the digestive issue , but much improved.
What a test!
Diary, I'm Gluten-Free




No comments: