Diary Of A JJ Virgin Diet Follower Why Do I Want To Do This? My sister who was fifty pounds overweight, diagnosed with high blood pressure,obese, suffered from insomnia, and low energy. In October 2013 she started on the JJ Virgin Diet and by March 2014, five month later she was down fifty-two pounds...

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Going Nuts!

This Is Nuts!

Cycle 1
Day 63
Diary of JJ Virgin Diet Follower
 
Hey Diary,
 
Let go nuts! Nuts are one of the most satisfying healthy fats, protein-packed snacks. And raw nuts(not peanuts) are listed among the healthy fats in the Virgin Diet.  Raw nuts are a great source of monounsaturated fats and are high fiber, high in lectins (a type of protein), phytates(also found in legumes, and grains), and other enzyme inhibitors according to JJ Virgin.  
With the Virgin Diet, I can enjoy a variety of raw nuts such as:
  • Walnuts
  • Cashews
  • Brazil
  • Macadamia
  • Almonds
But, these nuts are raw nuts, so, how do I prepare them for eating?
Raw nuts like legumes(black bean, lima beans, and pinto beans),  need be to soaked to minimize some of the phytates and lectin and other enzymes inhibitors before roasting them. Right?
That's right!
Here are some of the ways to make raw nuts eat ready:
  • First I soak them overnight in water and sea salt, then drain the water.
  • Toss in sea salt, little extra virgin olive oil (cinnamon and spices may also be added)
  • Spread out on a baking sheet
  • Slow roast in the oven with temperatures less than 150 degrees (depend on the oven temperatures) for 7 hours
  • Cool
  • Store in zip lock bags
  • Keep in the fridge
Delicious roasted nuts!
My favorite nuts are walnuts, and almonds and I enjoy roasting them.
Palm Full of Almonds
However, the problem is.....they are so yummy, that I have to be careful not to eat too many of them. If I eat too many nuts, that could sabotage my weight loss progress and make me gain weight. No way! Don't eat too many!  So..., what is my daily nut requirements? According to JJ  Virgin, I can have 1-3 servings per day(5 brazil or macadamia, 10 walnuts or almonds).
Ten 10 almonds will fit right into the palm of my hand, so I have a palm full of nuts a couple of times a day.
Raw nuts are a healthy on the go snack treat that satisfies my cravings, so it is worth it to take the time to soak, roast, and store. Or buy them already roasted but read your label and check for additives. 
I'm getting healthy with raw nuts!
Until later,
Goodbye Diary.

No comments: