Diary Of A JJ Virgin Diet Follower Why Do I Want To Do This? My sister who was fifty pounds overweight, diagnosed with high blood pressure,obese, suffered from insomnia, and low energy. In October 2013 she started on the JJ Virgin Diet and by March 2014, five month later she was down fifty-two pounds...

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Friday, February 26, 2016

Fiber For Better Health

 Be a Fiber Eater

Cycle 1

Day 50

 
Hey Diary,
 
Can I ever get enough fiber in my diet? In a word. No... Fiber eater, that is what I am. Did I say that I am a fiber eater? Yes... I do eat fiber, but, not enough-I need more fiber.  According to JJ Virgin, the average American eats 5 to 14 grams of fiber per day, which is not nearly enough, it should be 50 grams of fiber per day.
Fiber is a key that unlocks the door to more favorable weight loss outcome. In addition to that, fiber has some amazing health benefits such as:
  • Helps balance blood sugars
  • Suppresses appetite
  • Reduces the risk of colon cancer and other gastrointestinal diseases even diverticulitis
  • Lowers the risk for heart disease
  • Natural laxative

Fiber does all of that... Wow!! That's huge (yooog)! 
So now, exactly how am I suppose to get my fiber intake up to 50 grams. Hmmm... Well, JJ Virgin says that I should increase my fiber gradually over a one-two week( or more) period. Too quickly and I may experience some constipation. Go slow...with baby steps.
JJ Virgin has a list of high fiber food choices that I will help me better manage my fiber intake.
Using some of those high fiber foods, I created my own Fiber Score Card to help me monitor my fiber intake. Check it out:

                           My Virgin Diet Fiber Score Card
Fiber Score Card

 
 
Based on my Fiber Score Card, it looks like I have room for improvement. I have only 22½ grams of daily fiber intake according to my fiber score card.  That's very interesting!  I thought that I was eating lots of fiber, but obviously not enough because my fiber intake is at 50% of what it should be. I've  got to do better. But, remember, I must gradually increase the fiber-Gooo... slow.  So here's the plan, in the first two weeks, I will add an additional Tbsp. of flaxseed meal to my smoothies and that would be 2 Tbsp. daily( 5grams).  I will also add some raw nuts, some almonds (15 almonds), that's 5 more grams.
In addition to eating fiber, I have to make sure to  increase my water intake as well.. so, drink more water. Fiber  helps me have better poops, or as JJ Virgin says, poops we can be proud of.
The top 10 sources of "fabulous fiber" ( as JJ Virgin calls it) to load up on are:
  1. Raspberries- my most favorite berry
  2. Lentils( this makes a supreme soup)
  3. Nuts-Walnut, Almond, are great!
  4. Seeds, Chia and freshly ground flaxseeds
  5. Kale-very good sautéed in garlic-mmmmm!
  6. Quinoa-okay but not my favorite
  7. Avocado-breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I love it!
  8. Apples-red delicious
  9. Winter squash-Roasted butternut squash is the best
  10. Broccoli-steamed with little salt and pepper .
These are great fiber boosters and I'm going to eventually get my fiber up to 50 grams  or more. Striving for better health with fiber.
Keep on!
Well Diary,
 
Until later,

          



No comments: